Top 10 health benefits of Blueberries
Michigan Cardiovascular Center study suggests that blueberries may help reduce belly fat and risk factors for cardiovascular disease and metabolic syndrome.
Blueberries are the fruits of a shrub that belong to the heath family, which includes cranberry, bilberry and azalea, mountain laurel and rhododendron. Blueberries grow in clusters, ranging in size of a small pea to a marble. Their colors can range from deep blue and maroon to purple-black.The berries feature a white-gray waxy “bloom” that serves as a protective coating. The skin surrounds a semi-transparent green flesh that encases tiny orange seeds.
According to a study presented at the 2009 Experimental Biology conference, a diet rich in blueberries lowers blood cholesterol levels while improving glucose control and insulin sensitivity, lowering the risk of subsequent heart disease and diabetes.
Blueberries have amazing health benefits – the ten most being:
10 Blueberry Facts
Blueberry Fact #1
1.Of all fresh fruit – the highest antioxidant capacity is found in Blueberries.
Blueberries are very rich in anti oxidants like Anthocyanin, vitamin C, B complex, vitamin E, vitamin A, copper (an effective immune builder and anti-bacterial), selenium, zinc, iron (promotes immunity by raising haemoglobin and oxygen concentration in blood) etc. boost the body’s own immune system to help prevent infections.
Blueberry Fact #2
2. Blueberries neutralizes free radicals which can affect the body’s disease and aging process: Blue Berries are laden with anti oxidants and rank number 1 in the world of anti oxidants. This is mainly due to presence of Anthocyanin, a pigment responsible for the blue color of the blue berries. The abundance of vitamin-C is also a big factor for this as well.
Blueberry Fact #3
3.Blueberries aid in reducing Belly Fat: A new University of Michigan Cardiovascular Center study suggests that blueberries may help reduce belly fat and risk factors for cardiovascular disease and metabolic syndrome. A related study presented at the same conference showed that men with risk factors for heart disease who drank wild blueberry juice for three weeks seemed to experience slight improvements in glucose and insulin control.
Blueberry Fact #4
4. Blueberries promote urinary tract health: Blue Berries can be surprisingly beneficial. It has a compound formed of big polymer like heavy molecules which inhibits the growth of bacteria such as e-coli. It also has some anti biotic properties which adds to this effect. These heavy and big molecules almost wash-off these bacteria along the tract, thereby preventing the infection.
Blueberry Fact #5
5. Blueberries have been proved to preserve vision: Blueberry extract, high in compounds called anthocyanosides, has been found in clinical studies to slow visual loss. Therefore, eating blueberries can prevent or delay all age related ocular problems like macular degeneration, cataract, myopia and hypermetropia, dryness and infections, particularly those pertaining to retina, due to their anti-oxidant properties.
Blueberry Fact #6
6. Blue Berries contain a special group of anti oxidants called Carotenoids (lutein, zeaxanthin etc.), Flavonoids (like rutin, resveritrol, quercetin etc.), in addition to others such as vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin A, selenium, zinc and phosphorus, which are very beneficial and essential for the ocular health.
Blueberry Fact #7
7.Brain Health: The anthocyanin, the selenium, the vitamins A, B-complex, C and E, the zinc, sodium, potassium, copper, magnesium, phosphorus, manganese etc., among others, can prevent and heal neurotic disorders by preventing degeneration and death of neurons, brain-cells and also by restoring health of the central nervous system. It is hard to believe that these berries can also cure serious problems like Alzheimer’s disease to a great extent. They even heal damaged brain cells and neuron tissues and keep your memory sharper for longer. Researchers found that diets rich in blueberries significantly improved both the learning capacity and motor skills of aging animals, making them mentally equivalent to much younger ones.
Blueberry Fact #8
8. Heart Disease: The high fiber content, those brilliant anti oxidants and the ability to dissolve the ‘bad cholesterol’ make the Blue Berry an ideal dietary supplement to cure many heart diseases. It also strengthens the cardiac muscles. In this study, published in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, researchers found that a moderate drink (about 4 ounces) of white wine contained .47 mmol of free radical absorbing antioxidants, red wine provided 2.04 mmol, and a wine made from highbush blueberries delivered 2.42 mmol of these protective plant compounds.
Blueberry Fact #9
9. Constipation & Digestion: While roughage (fiber) in Blue Berries keep away constipation. (So enjoy a big handful of them), the vitamins, sodium, copper, fructose and acids improve digestion.
Blueberry Fact #10
10.Cancer: Blue Berries can prove to be bliss for the cancer patients, for they contain certain compounds like Pterostilbene (excellent remedy for colon and liver cancer) and Ellagic Acid which, in harmony with Anthocyanin and other anti oxidants like vitamin-C and copper, can do miracles to prevent and cure cancer. Laboratory studies published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry show that phenolic compounds in blueberries can inhibit colon cancer cell proliferation and induce apoptosis (programmed cell death). A significant 34% reduction in ovarian cancer risk was also seen in women with the highest intake of the flavone luteolin (found in citrus).
Other Benefits & Facts
Other benefits & facts: They keep you fresh, active, fit, sharp, close to nature and in a good mood, as they are very good anti depressants. You also need not spend a lot on medicines, neither are there any side effects. Remember, the deeper the color of the Blue Berries, the more they are rich in anti oxidants and other medicinal values.